NYCC VISTA Open Space
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What Motivates People?

2 posters

Go down

What Motivates People? Empty What Motivates People?

Post  picalila Tue Sep 30, 2008 2:50 pm

I've found it to be useful if you check the "climate" of your office (The politics, the little things, etc) before you make decisions on many things.

Many people do things because others (or specific "others") are doing things.
Many people like having information and numbers and data.
Many people like personal stories.

There are myriad ways that people do things. Sometimes you need to find what motivates others.
It can be very simple. In navigating higher education, you can honestly break it down very simply. Common personal interaction is still valid, except now you have a focused, but diverse group of individuals that share a common goal of higher learning.

Learn the territory (culture, campus, community), learn the key players (community partners, staff, faculty), and learn what motivates them (service, money, volunteers).
Offer something needed/wanted that nobody else can/will offer, and you've become essential.

picalila

Back to top Go down

What Motivates People? Empty Re: What Motivates People?

Post  aperala Tue Sep 30, 2008 11:19 pm

This all depends on context, but I also find that the little things can go a long way. By that, I mean small gestures of appreciation, like a sincere compliment, a individualized thank you note (not an e-mail, a handwritten note), or even springing for a cup of coffee can make people who are otherwise unwilling to work with you warm up. This is probably fairly common sense to most, but when we're bogged down in work or reading bad news we can't discuss in the office, we sometimes forget these little things. Well, at least I forget. Everyone likes to feel appreciated, not just as an employee who can do something for you, but as a human being.

aperala

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum