NYCC VISTA Open Space
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Acknowledging Facultys' S-L Work

2 posters

Go down

Acknowledging Facultys' S-L Work Empty Acknowledging Facultys' S-L Work

Post  lizemix@ESF Thu Oct 02, 2008 4:11 pm

As I meet with faculty to get a feel for S-L on campus, I find that they can all agree on one thing. Most all faculty members I meet with feel that their work with S-L is not acknowledged. Service-learning is not included in the tenure track (if that's how you word it), nor is it really recognized on campus. There's me, offering my support, but the college as a whole does not recognize these efforts.

The one way we DO actually recognize faculty and their service-learning efforts are through our President's Award, which is given out once a year to one faculty member and one student for their outstanding work in the community.

Does your campus acknowledge faculty for incorporating service-learning into their courses in any way? If so, how do they do this? My supervisor and I want to find a way to recognize more than one faculty member per year.

lizemix@ESF

Back to top Go down

Acknowledging Facultys' S-L Work Empty Faculty recognition

Post  LucyHannington Tue Oct 07, 2008 11:22 am

At SLU the faculty are not nearly so acknowledged for their role in service learning as the students are, but there are a few perks they get:

-$2000 start up funds (in recognition of the fact that it is hard work to develop a s-l class)
-full access to the Center for Civic Engagement and Leadership--this means funds, community mentor staff, support network
-our Community Based Learning is a recognized department at SLU, which means that the director does evaluations of the various CBL teachers when they are up for tenure in their departments
-by being a part of the academic structure, the CCEL/CBL have access to the academic dean
-the CCEL has a full time administrative support staff

If you want more details about any of this, shoot me an email.

LucyHannington

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum